Pages

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Interview with VFS Ones To Watch - Kirsy Ward



After graduating from Central Saint Martins, Kirsty Ward debuted her first collection with us at September Fashion Week. Her jewellery is just as popular as her womenswear, which is stocked on youngbritishdesigners.com. Last week saw the unveiling of Kirsty's window feature in Selfridges. Having just been announced as one of our four Ones to Watch designers, it certainly been a very busy time for Kirsty, but  we managed to find some time to get her reactions on the good news.
 
How are you feeling about winning Vauxhall Fashion Scout's Ones to Watch?
I feel that it a great opportunity to participate in a group catwalk and after only exhibiting last season its something im looking forward to.

What did you do to celebrate?

I'd love to say something extravagant but knowing me I probably just had a cup of tea and then getting on with my work!

 
What was your experience in the fashion industry before forming your own brand?

Before having my own label I completed the womenswear MA at Central St Martins. I then went straight to Italy after that to work for Alberta Ferretti as a designer, my label is still very young though, Feburary will be my second season.

Who is your favorite designer and why?

There are many, to name a few: Margiela, Helmut Lang, Raf Simons...............

If you were not a fashion designer, what would you do?

I don't know, own a sweet shop?

What music do you listen to when you designing?

I'm quite into Hot Chip, Metronomy, Fever Ray/The Knife

What’s your inspiration for your last season’s collection?

Last season it was a selection of bad taste, tinsel/lametta and Felix Topolski

Where would you like to see your label in a few years? 

I would like it to grow each season, so I would like to see it be stocked in internationally respected fashion stores

Have you been to any of our Mentoring Events? Has it helped you?

Yeah I've been to a couple of the Mentoring Events - they offer really great advice and best of all its free of charge to young designers like myself!!

Kenny Wang