Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Umeromaan - Graduate Showcase

Photography by Lucas Seidenfaden
  
The Umeromaan collection is a hit of instant glamour. The liberal use of delicate chainmail enables the pieces to shimmer and sparkle, but ground them in rock and roll. These are outfits for rockstars – chainmail leggings, and spiked shoulders.

There is a design classicism to the collection, which adds a mature sexiness. The shapes are simple and classic: shifts and collarless jackets. Yet everything was pushed into a dark gothic future with dripping chains and metallic studs. A band of feathers on a shift added an element of colour as they flashed emerald in the light.

Where did you study?
At De Montfort, in Leicestershire.

Tell a little bit about your collection. What inspired it?
The collection is based on the woman, my muse. She is gothic, a bit rock and roll, definitely part of the cool gang. I was trying to capture all these elements and form them into outfits. It is more about the mood, the feeling, than a single physical element.

How did you feel when you found out you’d been chosen for the Graduate Showcase?
I didn’t believe it for a second! I was really pleased as that is the direction I want to move in. I’m definitely going to push it forward. It is so nice that someone has given me a platform to show my work.

What do you hope to get from the Graduate Showcase?
It’s great to just be around the press, getting opinions from the industry. I’m getting lots of advice, making contacts with photographers and stylists in London. I’m getting myself out there. People are really loving my work, so it’s a great boost for my future career.


Text: Natasha Slee