Pages

Monday 26 September 2011

VFS Exhibition - Phoebe English Q&A


Photography by Lucas Seidenfaden
Where did you study?
I studied at Central St Martins.

What was the inspiration behind your SS12 collection?
I really wanted to work with structured textiles. I focused on materials and I really wanted to develop something that was quite fleshy and heavy, a bit more raw compared to the textures I worked with on my last collection, so trying to move myself forward.

When it comes to your designs, how do you work? What are your processes?
This collection is mainly made up of smock surfaces. I pulled the surfaces of the fabric together to give it a 3 dimensional form, which looks a little bit like pleating. I have left the threads that I used to stitch the surfaces together hanging from the inside, so its quite a raw version of smocking. Generally you would prefer to work into the surface but I really liked the idea of leaving it hanging.

What has been your highlight of exhibiting at VFS this week?
It has definitely been the show, it was really exciting and I had an amazing time. My clothes looked good and it was just really nice to have my first show here with really beautiful girls and all my friends and family came. I loved it!

What is next for you?
Sleeping! Lots of sleeping!! I’m going to pack the exhibition up, go back to the studio and have some meetings, and so on. Then hopefully go home to see my family for a bit because I haven’t seen them for ages. I also currently have my work on show in an exhibition called British-ish at the Victoria and Albert museum, as part of the London Design Festival.

What advice would you give to young aspiring designers?
To work really hard and to work within your means.


Text: Amy Lockwood