Pages

Monday 19 September 2011

VFS Exhibition - Q&A with Anna Lee

Photography by Ezzidin Alwan

Where did you study?

I studied in Leicester at De Montfort University.

What was the inspiration behind your SS12 collection?

I took inspiration from Ophelia and this is my interpretation of that. It looks at the transformation of the human by joining sea life. It’s about Ophelia finding life in the ocean and this is reflected in the prints. The colours change from pinks as they go down into the colours of the ocean, like greens and blues. I wanted to go very romantic this season.

When it comes to your designs, how do you work? What is your process?

I gather my ideas from illustrations and I work by painting prints. I take my original idea or inspiration and then develop them to my prints. It comes together from there really.

What has been your highlight of exhibiting at VFS this week?

I really like the relaxing atmosphere here; there is not too much pressure. I have also been able to speak to some really interesting people such as Grazia Daily and Vogue.com, so it’s been a really nice experience.

What is next for you?

Next seasons going to be a surprise! It’s my second season this year so I am hoping to do another exhibition next year and maybe go to Paris as well. 

What advise would you give to young aspiring designers?

I think is difficult when you start to combine business with creativity, so I would suggest doing lots of research into current designers and established brands and then see where you are, where you want to be and how to get there. Of course you need a lot of determination too. 

Text: Samantha Farr