Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

INTERVIEW| Kiev Fashion Days: Zinaida Lihacheva





Ukrainian artist Zinaida Lihacheva's jewellery collection is a conceptual installation entitled Other. Based on the concept that every-one of us carries a burden, each piece is designed to represent the 'other' in our life that helps support us. The collection of accessories, titled 'blackessories' was a collaboration with British designer Jean-Pierre Braganza last Autumn. Zinaida took influence from the Ecclesiastes 4:9 lesson "…Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor...”.

How would you say that being an artist influences your design process?
Design for me is art.

What were your main inspirations this season?
The source of inspiration for me was the hard work of my friend- British designer - Jean-Pierre Braganza (I collaborated with him for S/S13. He took my paintings as a basis for prints for the collection).

How do you feel about exhibiting at Kiev Fashion Days at Fashion Scout?
I love London, it is my second home. This city broadens my creative mind, gives inspiration, the energy of London is always a flow of ideas for me. Fashion Scout is a good platform to show my art and to present Ukraine on the international level, to show creative potential of our country.

What are your future plans as a designer?
Now I am working at one art project in Ukraine and plans to exhibit my paintings in New York.

Text by Darcie Thompson Fields (@DarcieTF)
Images by Siobhan Kerrigan (@SiobhanKerrigan)